Continuing the work of Jesus. Peacefully. Simply. Together.
The Williamson Road congregation was organized in 1948. The first meeting place was William Fleming High School (presently Breckinridge Middle School), and it moved into the present location in 1951. Two additions have been added to the original building.
As one of the historic peace churches, we support justice and equality for all people. We are a fellowship of believers who are open to all persons without regard to race, economic status, gender, or sexual preference for we are all children of God and are called to live at peace with each other.
A strong commitment to service is part of our heritage and practice. We are organized to respond to disaster relief, disaster childcare, programs of Church World Service, One Great Hour of Sharing, and various hunger relief agencies.
Our junior and senior youth have a strong program of activities, including participation in district activities. The Sunshiners (Senior Citizens group) sponsors a variety of activities throughout the year. Community Vacation Bible School is provided for children one week during the summer.
Opportunities for service include RAM (Roanoke Area Ministries), District disaster projects, and Habitat for Humanity. A prayer chain allows us to participate in the ministry of healing, both spiritual or physical, for those who are in need. The We Care ministry offers service to those who are sick or bereaved.
The Church of the Brethren
“Continuing the work of Jesus. Peacefully. Simply. Together.”
The Church of the Brethren was founded in central Germany in 1708. Though we have existed for 300 years, we have subscribed to no formal creed, but accept the New Testament as our guide for faith and practice. God’s love for us was settled on the cross. Through the cross and through his ministry, Jesus brought the message of life, love, and hope. Carrying out God’s purposes, he ministered to people’s physical and spiritual needs. We are called to do the same.